There are steps that you can take that will help you charge up your efforts to become the voice of experience in your area of expertise. And no matter what it is you’re blogging about, it’s good to have a plan so you’re not spinning your wheels.
So without further ado, let’s talk about what you need to know to become a better blogger.
- Know thy audience. The #1 rule of blogging is to know who it is your writing for. Is it for mothers with young children? Auto enthusiasts? Vegan yoga instructors with a passion for cats? Before you start typing away, focus in on who you want to read your posts and keep that audience in mind. If your blog is your business, you’re going to want to reach out to brands that also want to reach out to these people, and you’ll need to know your target market.
- Share your posts. Just because you wrote a post, it doesn’t mean people will automatically come. You need to tell people about it. And that’s where social media or online marketing comes into the picture. Tell your followers that there’s a new blog post they need to read. Set it up with a funny or interesting introduction they just can’t resist with a link to the post. If you do it right (and consistently), your followers will help share your content with their friends and followers.
- Share other bloggers content. I can’t stress this point enough, yet not many people do it. If there’s other bloggers whose content you like and admire, share it on your blog or on your social media networks. It helps build your cred and your networks, allowing others to take notice. They may also spread your links on their sites, which could gain you some new followers as well.
- Be consistent. To build a following, you need to be posting content consistently. Readers who love your writing want to come back for more. There’s a lot of competition for their attention out there and if you’re not writing for a few days, they’ll go find someone else to read. Don’t let them go! Set out a schedule and write them a post… it’s what your readers want!
- Keep learning. Check out what other bloggers are doing. Sign up for newsletters. Attend bloggers conferences. Keep reading this blog. Keep up on what’s going on in your industry and stay on top of what you need to know to keep your audience hooked on your blog.
Do you have any tips on how to become a better blogger? Leave your suggestions below. We’d love to hear them!